If Mark Zuckerbeg, co-founder and CEO of Facebook, makes a recommendation, then you know it’s probably pretty good advice. So girls of the world…heed Mr. Zuckerberg and embrace your inner “nerd”!
As Education Week reported, in response to one grandma’s Facebook post about the advice she gives to her granddaughters – “date the nerd in school, he may turn out to be a Mark Zuckerberg!” – the face of Facebook wrote back: “Even better would be to encourage them to *be* the nerd in their school so they can be the next successful inventor!”
Here at Notre Dame Prep, there is no negative stigma to the words nerd, geek, brainiac or the like. In fact, we encourage, nurture and foster academic passions of all kinds – science, math, history, art, poetry, or whatever the intellectual interest!
Here are some examples of how inner geekdom takes off in our classes:
- For Project Greenway, art students painstakingly reclaim recycled materials to create “green” haute couture gowns, which are shown in a “runway show” to the entire school.
- The annual Egg Drop – to be held this year on January 30 – elementary and middle school students from around the region build contraptions that can sustain a egg’s integrity from a drop of four meters.
- In the Middle Level, students enjoys a Mad Hatter tea party as part of their reading of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
- Engineering students were wowed to see a flying model of the Hoverbike, which is being developed for the US military.
- Middle Level students are able to study Logic & Computational Linguistics and Computer Coding during trimester-long Explore Classes.
- NDP’s Forensics Science Class conducted a CSI-inspired investigation after finding a “body” in Science Lab 1.